I hope you all had a very happy Thanksgiving! We did! =) Having missed Dac's family's meal and having been sick and on a soup diet for a couple days, I. Was. Pumped for Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandma's. It didn't disappoint. I've always kind of enjoyed this holiday. Used to be - I'd spend the day before Thanksgiving helping my mom, aunt, and grandma start preparing for the big meal. When I was little, I was in charge of "washing" the turkey. This meant the turkey was thawing in the sink and I had to give it a bath. I won't reveal how old I was when I realized there was no such thing as giving the turkey a bath. =| Here I was thinking I ha
d this big important job... and really... they were just trying to keep me busy and out of their hair. ha! Later on, I was in charge of helping Grandma with the pies (I know everyone says this, but seriously, my Grandma makes THE best pies you'll ever taste. AND they're always pretty too. Amazing.) and the cleaning (the house, not the turkey). It was fun girl time.
Then, Thanksgiving morning I'd watch the parade with my dad before heading out to Grandma's early to help some more. Getting there early is the best part. It was always lots of fun. We'd stuff ourselves, watch football, and that's that. Later, my parents and I would watch Home Alone or another fun Christmas movie. When Dac and I were dating, we'd sometimes go see a movie Thanksgiving afternoon too. It's just a fun holiday... getting together for reasons other than gifts, etc... That's what it's all about. I was telling Dac how we don't really do any of that fun stuff anymore. I think we should make a change for next year!
My grandma Millie, Aunt Deb, and my mom.


The spread. =)

My contribution. Usually, I make a mashed sweet potato casserole with a cinnamon sugar pecan crusting on top... this year, I was lazy and just used Schwans sweet potato chunks and dressed them up with butter, brown sugar, pecans and marshmallows. Still pretty good.

Later that day, some of Dac's family came over for a casual "Drinksgiving". We sat around in our sweats, ate appetizers, drank cocktails, and watched Bridesmaids. Real family-friendly movie. =) I wanted to get pictures that night, but nobody was cooperating. Huh-hmm! Thankfully Peety and Tater felt like posing. =)
My Peety man!
Cousin Tater!

All-in-all it was a great day.


No comments:
Post a Comment