Friday, August 23, 2013

Being Mama: Breastfeeding Awareness

This is the fourth post in my "being mama" series.
----

Let me start out by saying (again) that I'm writing this post for documentation purposes and if someone out there in the interwebs happens to find something helpful or encouraging from it, all the better. What I'm NOT trying to do is make someone feel doubt, guilt, hurt, or worse - judgement. Lord knows there's enough of that to go around in MomLand - you don't need it here too! =)
----

Yes, I know, we're talking about boobies again. I'm sorry about that. I think this should pretty well wrap it up. ;)

It's just that it's Breastfeeding Awareness month and I came across this article on a blog I follow.

It's from the Pregnant Chicken blog - which is a comical blog about pregnancy and what-not. The writer pretty well echoes my sentiments exactly. I think breastfeeding is wonderful - truly. It's an awesome thing and nobody should feel shunned or get loaded glances for it. I feel the same way about formula feeding. *sigh* It just seems like it's always such a thing, you know? I guess I would call for awareness of acceptance and compassion towards others regardless of their feeding style, more than awareness of "breast is best". But I digress. Here's what she had to say.

"Did you know that August is breastfeeding awareness month? No? Well, boobs feed babies – now we're all aware. 
I've always had a bit of a love/hate with breastfeeding awareness. On one hand I think it's fantastic that there's a whole moment that encourages and supports women that choose to breastfeed. There needs to be more. More support when it's hard and shitty. More people that stand up to corporations or douches at the mall who still can't seem to separate feeding an infant from a sexual display. More acceptance from generations who were told formula was the sensible way to feed a baby and that breastfeeding was for poor people.
On the other hand, we always need to remember that not everyone chooses to breastfeed or can breastfeed. This is where I think some people forget who their audience is when they are screaming breast is best from the tallest tower and hand out pamphlets saying babies that aren't breastfed won't be as smart, or will be fat, or will grow a tail, all because they were fed formula. It really doesn't help. It just makes people feel shitty, defensive and inferior and I don't think that's the kind of awareness we want to spread."
She then goes on to link to several interesting articles, the first of which all but brought me to tears. She just gets it and points out that "feeding with love" is what matters. If you're going to take the time to read it, I highly encourage you to stick it out 'til the end because that's where the really good stuff is. The compassion she showed towards another mom cracked my all-too-sensitive little heart and warmed it at the same time. =) Hooray for being friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment